8 THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW ABOUT DONUTS
There is one thing that we can all agree on: donuts are delicious! They are the perfect morning coffee companion, the trusty morning tea snack, dessert for lunch or dinner, and even sneaky midnight snack. Anytime is the perfect time for donuts! Most of us however don't know a hole lot (pardon the pun) about our favourite fried dough treat so here are 12 things you may not have known about donuts!
1. There is no official spelling of donuts. It's commonly acceptable to spell it as donut, doughnut, do-nut... It all works!
2. Many accounts credit Elizabeth Gregory with creating the first donut with a hole in the middle in the mid 19th century. You can read more about the history of the donut here!
3. The popularity of the donut hit the big time during WWI when troops were served donut while they were fighting on the front lines. The delicious dough treats were craved for once the troops returned home.
4. In 1996, The New York Times declared that "no profession is as closely identified with a good as police work is with donuts". Police in NYC used to use donut shops as places to do paperwork in the early hours, as donut shops were often open at 3 or 4am to prepare for their day. Subsequently donut shops have become some of the safest places because of the presence of police.
5. The first donut machine was invented by a Russian immigrant named Adolph Levitt in 1920 in New York City
6. The see through box was invented by the Entenmann family in 1959. They believed that people were more inclined to buy back goods when they could actually see what was inside the box. Today, Entenmann's donut bakery in Pennsylvania is the largest donut bakery in the USA and producers more than 15 million donuts every week!
7. On the other side of the world, Dr. Dough Donuts is Sydney and Melbourne's Number 1 donut delivery service, delivering thousands of boxes weekly to customers craving delicious sweet treats or sending them as gifts to family and friends.
8. Sydney Centre Point Tower is 309m tall, and you would need to stack more than 7800 donuts to make a donut tower taller than it!
The only thing you need to know about donuts is Dr. Dough Donuts DELIVERED
Dr. Dough can deliver you fresh, delicious donuts to your door for any occasion! You could be attempting to build a donut stack taller than Sydney's Centre Point Tower or you could just want to spoil your friend or send some love to your family. Whatever the occasion Dr. Dough has you covered with a huge range of donut and gift delivery options.
Dr. Dough deliver donuts and gifts in Sydney and Melbourne
We can deliver up to 60km's from Sydney and Melbourne CBD's and our metro delivery is only $5. We use a tracking system that enables you to see where your delivery, receive an ETA on your delivery as well as communicate directly with your delivery driver if you have any specific information for the delivery.
Written by Tom Ragen.